From the beginning with this blog I always considered myself not only as an recipe creator but also as an recipe collector and Barbara’s chocolate cake was always on my list! The taste brings back great memories and hopefully more to follow.
Everyone loves chocolate, white chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate – the varieties are endless and everyone has his own favorite. Barbara’s chocolate cake is loved by everyone – I guarantee you with this cake you will feel like in chocolate heaven from the first bite – no matter what chocolate type you are!
Since a couple of years we are a group of people who always meet for brunch somewhere else and when it comes to the sweet sensations I always wished for the chocolate cake. This cake is comparable with the traditional Austrian “Sacher Torte”. Barbara’s chocolate sensation tastes so soft and fluffy.
It’s a family recipe and I am sooo thankful that she shared it!
For the dough
- 150g dark chocolate
- 150g butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 150g flour, plain
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 package vanilla sugar
- 1/2 package baking powder
For the filling
- 100g apricot jam
For the glaze
- 180g dark chocolate
- 120g butter
- Preheat the oven to 150°C hot air.
- Start with the chocolate – melt it in a glass bowl set on top of a boiling water.
- In the meantime use a big bowl and mix together butter, icing sugar, egg yolks using a hand whisk till its creamy. Add the flour and baking powder and mix slowly – add the melted chocolate.
- Beat the egg white in an extra bowl until stiff – carefully stir in the dough using a cooking spoon.
- Put everything in a greased spring-clip cake form ( therefor I used a 26cm form) and bake for about an hour.
- Take out the chocolate cake and let it cool. When it’s cold enough cut through and add some rum on both sides and spread the apricot jam.
- While the cake cools, you can start melting the chocolate and butter for the frosting.
- Glaze the cake. I just pour the hot chocolate butter mixture over the cake – I guess there are other methods you can do it better but for me this works best.
- Let the frosting cool before you refrigerate the chocolate cake.
ENJOY THE TASTE OF AUSTRIAN CHOCOLATE HEAVEN!!!