Egg fried dumplings served with green salad are a typical Austrian dish resulting form leftovers. In my opinion this dish is completely underestimated!
My translation for “Knödel mit Ei” is “egg fried dumplings – if you can think of any better suggestions I am more than happy to hear them! Eating those dumplings are always connected to memories from the hotspots in my life; like at my granny’s kitchen table, in boarding school and also in almost every rational Austrian “Beisl”/ restaurant I’ve visited.
I would recommend you serve it with a huge green salad bowl – I think there is nothing more refreshing than dumping the dumplings in the salad and eat it all together. The secret and the special spicy taste is the white pepper in the salad dressing.
SERVES: 2 TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes (if you already have the dumplings)
Roasted Bread Dumplings with roasted eggs:
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 big onion, finely sliced
- 4 bread dumplings, cut into small pieces (Austrian Bread Dumplings)
- 2 big eggs
- 1 bunch of chieves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green salad, washed and chopped
- 3 radishes, finely chopped
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons apple vinegar
- a pinch of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Melt the butter in a non sticky frying pan on medium heat – add the onions.
- Chop the dumplings into bite-sized pieces and add them into the pan – stir well and fry until the dumplings get a golden brown color.
- In the meantime you can start preparing the green salad. Pour all ingredients for the dressing (olive oil, apple vinegar, sugar, salt and white pepper) in a glas with a jar and shake. Put the salad in a big bowl and pour over the dressing – let it sit for a while so the flavor of the dressing can get into the salad. Be careful with the white pepper – it puts a spicy note to the salad – try before you add more.
- In a separate glass beat two eggs and add to the pan – fry until the egg whites congest.
- Garnish the dumplings with chopped chives and serve with green salad with chopped radishes.
ENJOY & MAHLZEIT!!!