Welcome to Spring – the days are getting longer and temperatures are rising – YEAH! Spring brings all the bright colors – flowers, fruits and vegetables start to grow, everything bright green and fresh. Last week it also had over 20°C, open windows all day, outdoor at the playground and staying outside! Yeah how I missed it to spend the whole day outside – it is just so much more relaxing and fun when it’s sunny and warm!
Picnic season is opening soon – therefor you must no there is nothing better for me than a large blanket, a basket full of food, kids and friends. PLAY – EAT – LAUGH LOUD! And for those moments I am testing some new recipes. Now I am taking them to the office with the knowledge that my glasses to go soon will be eaten on a picnic blancet! Yeah! Anticipation is the most beautiful delight!
I love fresh salads and this spring salad is perfect for me – the nutty taste of black quinoa in combination with the strong taste of spring cress and blue cheese and the sweet strawberries on top! Yummy! Hope you’ll like it as much as I do!
Spring quinoa salad to go:
- 100g black quinoa
- 220ml water
- 4 handful spring cress (about 250g)
- 8 strawberries, cut into cubes
- as much blue cheese as you like
- sunflower seeds
- 7 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start preparing the quinoa, combine 100g black quinoa with twice as much water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until quinoa is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, for about 15 minutes. Drain it thoroughly using a fine- mesh strainer because it holds lots of water and you don’t want your salad to taste watery. Set aside and let cool.
- In the meantime you can start washing and preparing the rest of the salad – make sure you drain everything well.
- For the dressing I always use an extra glass, so the “salad to go” stays fresh. Just shake before you use it.
- Use two glasses (500ml each) – start putting in the cooled black quinoa first – then add the spring cress salad, strawberries, blue cheese and sunflower seeds. Close it and put in the fridge or put the salad in your picnic basket.
- If you are ready to enjoy it pour over the dressing, close and shake it!
♥ Tip: If you let your salad warm up to room temperature about 20 minutes the blue cheese gets runny and creamy and tastes extra delicious.